- moviepilot.de Great site organized into the categories listed below; in each category, once you click on a movie, you have access to trailers, reviews ["Kritik"], info about whether/where you can see it in theaters ["im Kino"] etc.
- Filmtipps ==> "Filme entdecken" [=discover] lets you browse for movies; "Schnelltest" asks you to rate a selection of movies, then suggests movies you may like
- Programm ==> Find out what's in theaters, on TV, on DVD, or available "on demand" through the site (you would pay by credit card; I doubt that this would work from the US, however)
- News ==> Browse the "Überblick" [=overview] of current "movie-news," or try the "Quizze" or "Gewinnspiele" [=contests]. In the latter category, you typically email in a response to a question in order to win a prize; again, I doubt you'd be eligible if you enter from the U.S.
Movie Database--Deutsche Filme Hier können
Sie Informationen über die deutschen Filme im
Internet Movie Database finden. Homepage
des Internet Movie Database Hier können Sie
englische Informationen über viele deutsche Filme
movie trailers A regularly updated selection of
German-language movie trailers.
- about.com's German Movie Guide A guide to recent releases and German movie classics
"Kino-, Video- und Fernsehhighlights - übersichtlich
[=clearl and well-organized] und aktuell [=current,
up-to-date]!!" The info provided here includes
links to a selection of current movie trailers.
For each trailer,
you can see if it is the "deutsche Version" or "englische
Huge site with reviews of lots of movies and tons
of other info.
- kabeleins Filmlexikon Searchable database with reviews and actor/director info for 30,000 German and international films
- Z. Das Kinofilm Lexikon. Kurze Infos zu hunderten
von Filmen. Part of a site devoted to the city
Umfassende [=comprehensive] Site über den deutschen
Film. Es gibt zum Beispiel ein Filmlexikon,
und Links zu den Drehbüchern
[=scripts] von einigen deutschen Filmen.
"Film Pressespiegel": summarizes the most important
German reviews of new (==> Neustarts) and older (==>
Vorwochen) movies, and includes direct links to the
reviews being summarized.
Kinoprogramm Current list of what's showing in
Cologne. Click on one of the featured movies for more info, or on "Alle Filme heute von A-Z" to see everything that's currently showing somewhere in Cologne.
Dietrich bei wikipedia.de
Online Magazines Devoted to
Demnächst - Das Kinomagazin
ab - Aktuelles Kinomagazín: Spielpläne,
Trailer, Chat, Filmbesprechungen
- das Internetmagazin für Kinofans, Profis und
Quereinsteiger Spielfilme [=movies], Produktionsberichte,
Filmmusik, Filmkritiken, Filmbilder, Cartoons, Filmstarts,
A radical online film-magazine. A reduced version
is available for free downloading.
- Deutsche-Filme.de Info about recently released German movies, as well as an archive of German movies from the last several years.
- Soul Kitchen (2009) Comedy by Fatih Akin, set in Hamburg
- Friendship (2009) Comedy about two friends from former East Germany who want to go to San Francisco after the Fall of the Wall - but they don't speak English, and only have enough money to fly to New York City.
- Das weiße Band (2009) Strange events happen in a small village in the north of Germany during the years just before World War I, which seem to be ritual punishment. The abused and suppressed children of the villagers seem to be at the heart of this mystery.
- Das Leben der Anderen (2006) Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. About state surveillance methods in former East Germany. Link takes you to a taz.de review of various movies from tha year; Das Leben der Anderen is number 5.
- Die Fälscher (2007) Winner of the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film. asdada
in Afrika This film by Caroline Link won the Oscar
for Best Foreign Language Film in 2003. Link takes you to the moviemaze.de review.
bye Lenin! Very successful, witty and entertaining
2003 movie with a great premise: a young man is arrested
for protesting against the East german government
shortly before the fall of the wall. His mother sees
the police arrest him, suffers a heart attack and
falls into a coma. When she awakes, the wall is gone,
but her frail health makes it dangerous for her to
get this kind of shocking news--so the son tries to
hide it for her by making everything in their flat
seem as if the GDR still existed....
Sort of a German Thelma and Louise.
Film "language" links